Many of our patients come to treatment with an addiction problem that stems from a form of trauma in their lives. Traumatic events can trigger substance abuse as a way to mask or numb the pain. Trauma can include sexual, mental or physical abuse, witnessing domestic violence or a death, losing a loved one or having a experiencing a near-death experience.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, there are six key principles in treating patients with trauma in order to facilitate healing:
- Providing a safe environment
- Creating an environment of trustworthiness
- Peer support and mutual self-help
- A collaborative environment
- Clients feel empowered, have a voice and a choice
- Treatment moves past cultural stereotypes and biases and offers gender-responsive services
Trauma-informed Care at JourneyPure Serenity Network
Experiencing trauma can be debilitating and can lead to mental health and physical health issues in addition to substance use disorders. We specialize in trauma-informed care, with our highly-trained staff providing individual, group and experiential therapies specific to patients who have experienced trauma. Call today and start healing.